Friday, October 5, 2012

Good-bye, Kishi

A good, good sobriety friend of mine, Kat Wyke, aka Kishimojun, died Wednesday. It's hard to believe, in one sense, yet, on non-sobriety related health issues, she had already beaten the odds, otherwise.

Kishi was about my age. She had Crohn's disease. If you're familiar with it, that alone is why I say she beat the health odds.

She also had ahd bladder cancer about 18 months ago. It appeared to have been caught quickly enough and "beaten," but such was not the case. It came back with a vengeance within the last two months or so. Just under a month ago, all of a sudden, he had bad stomach pains, as the recurring cancer seems to have been virulent and fast spreading.

I had been negligent in trying to stay in touch with her online with me recent move, and yes, I'm kicking myself for that. She had told me about the stomach pains before I moved, but still sounded positive about her prognosis. Alas, it was not to be. She was in a coma two weeks later, at the start of this week, with kidney failure following quickly.

Kishi, often being semi-homebound when her Crohn's flared up, became active in learning, and progressing in, the ancient Japanese stitching art of temari.

For a picture of her, and some of her temari work, please see this photo album.

No comments: