Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Do New Age techniques and rituals help 'manage' PTSD?

A good Facebook friend of mine, Karla McLaren, who came out of a New Age "professional" background, says the answer can be yes.

Why? The repetitiveness of the rituals combined with the smorgasbord of different "modalities" is the key, she says.
My houseguests showed me something I really hadn’t been able to see before – and strangely, my despair lifted that weekend as my curiosity returned. I had always known that the New Age attracts a very large number of traumatized and dissociative people (that’s actually one of the central premises of my books and tapes). However, I had never been separate from New Age beliefs, rituals, and paraphernalia long enough to observe how these rituals help people manage their post-traumatic anxieties, depressions, dissociative tendencies, and other troubling symptoms.

Throughout my life, I had noticed that the New Age population was in large part a very sensitive group of people. In conventional medicine or psychotherapy, the level of awareness and sensitivity these people struggle with has been characterized as a form of pathology. However, sensitive people like my friends and me are made very comfortable in the New Age. With the endless treatment choices offered in the New Age, sensitive people can find an abundance of ever-changing supports, crutches, or remedies for just about anything they suffer, think, feel, or imagine. All of these New Age remedies and paraphernalia are quite soothing – and yet I finally saw during my friends’ weekend visit that the soothing had no lasting effect.
Very, very interesting.

That said, no, this doesn't really "manage" PTSD at all.  Note again her last words: "(T)he soothing had no lasting effect."

Even some of the latest neuroscience-driven treatments, with the best of science behind them, from what I have read, on a matter vaguely related, from a book about introversion, may be less lasting, in terms of long-term help, than doctors would like to believe. How much more something that's not scientific.

Anyway, Karla's whole series of articles is worth a read.

No comments: