Friday, March 8, 2019

The Puppy, Part 2

The reference is to this previous poem about an incident in my life from the middle 1990s.

THE PUPPY, PART 2

I’m more of a man than you, dad.
I killed the puppy
When it returned
From wherever you took it,
Unlike you,
Who couldn’t do it
With the puppies in Flint
You couldn’t immediately get rid of.

I proved it
To my self
In my mind
I’m more of a man
Than you, dad.

I was sad
But controlled it.
No tears.

I was angry
It took too many shots
Before the puppy
Stopped moving
And was truly dead.

But in it all
I was more of a man
Than you, dad.

Even as
Your innuendoes
And your put-downs
About me
Being less of a man
Less sexual of a man
Rang in my brain.

Violence, not power
Is the ultimate aphrodisiac
In too many minds.

A dead puppy
Is now humus
Across a quarter-century
Of time and space.
And across that stretch
I have let go a little bit
Of the perceived need
To prove myself to you.

No comments: